Wednesday, August 2, 2017

A Study in Black and White Mark Making CONTINUES


Last week I shared with my readers the story behind my study in black and white mark making.

Like my favorite artist, Franz Kline, I love large gestural marks, especially simple black on white. Unfortunately for me, they aren’t as easy to execute as they might look. It seems I am too much in my own head and I need to loosen up.

I did a bit of research and I found a possible solution. It seems if I practice making larger, looser strokes I will build muscle memory. According to Wikipedia, “…when a movement is repeated over time, a long-term muscle memory is created for that task, eventually allowing it to be performed without conscious effort.”

So I began a study in black and white mark making.


After working at it about two weeks I have seen an improvement. In addition, I now have a good supply of interesting marks on watercolor paper. I've decided to add layers of color to a few of them. I am loving the results.







The one I am sharing with you today started as just four marks of black india ink. At first I just added a bit of watery acrylic paint.








After looking at it for a couple more days I decided to try making marks using some highlighters I had laying around. 














It went through a few different stages before I was completely happy with it. A bit of distressing happened here...











More black ink, graphite and marker.

Finally I decided to add a few more colors, and a bit more white.

I finished it by adding some random marks using my favorite art supply, Neocolor II water-soluble wax oil pastels by Caran d’Ache. I love the look of their strokes over paint. 


Here is the finished piece.


"Ombi-oynce" (2017) © SGTurner Art


As always I love to share a few detail photos as well.
(I love how they look together!)


Prints of "Ombi-onyce" detail photos



                           You can see my daily updates on Instagram 




Prints and some originals in this series are available for purchase.

Contact me if you are interested - sales@sgturnerart.com

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...