Saturday, October 22, 2016

It's Saturday - Time to Showoff! - October 22, 2016



It's #ShowOffSaturday over at one of my favorite Facebook groups, The Artist Entrepreneur hosted by the lovely Catherine Orer, Coach Extraordinaire.

Again this week I am sharing one of my paintings from my October series where I am celebrating autumn with abstracts - this is abstract 10.4 


You can see my process in the photos below -

                    Step 1                            Step 2                             Step 3       


(1) I started with a 20" x 20" canvas and applied a base of black gesso. I then sketched an abstract design with chalk. (2) Using white acrylic I began my layers. I started with a round brush and painted small haphazard strokes. (3) For the next layer I mixed the paint with acrylic glaze.



(4) Next I added color. (5) Once it dried I began pulling off some of the top layer of paint off using alcohol and elbow grease. This created a distressed look.

Lastly I applied thin layers of translucent colors - Golden's Quinacridone Nickel Azo Gold and Green Gold. Using baby wipes I removed some of this paint too. I worked some Paynes Gray on top to give it some more depth.



The final piece -

20 x 20 Acrylic on canvas
Donated to the
Rome Rescue Mission Fundraiser

Here are a few close ups photos which allow you to see the texture and layers of color.




Shhhh - if you've read this far, thank you! Your reward? Leave a comment below and be entered to win a set of note cards with close up images taken from this painting.Winner selected on October 28, 2016.

Congratulations to last week's winner, Kathy E.




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...