Saturday, March 16, 2013

REVEAL: Holiday Bling Blog Hop 3 - Feb/March 2013

Its here, REVEAL DAY for our third round of Holiday Bling Blog Hop (or HBBH3) which I am hosting along with my partner in crime, Marlene Cupo of Amazing Designs

Here's how it worked:  Those who signed up to participate were partnered up. Partners then decided what they'd exchange – could be handmade ornaments, jewelry, decor, whatever – it just had to be Holiday themed. We provided a list of holidays for the months of February/March.


My partner this round was Catherine King of Catherine's Musings. Together we chose Easter as our holiday.  Catherine sent me a beautiful gift, so pretty, so much work! I will ALWAYS cherish it.  (see link at bottom)


For these exchanges I like to sometimes go outside the box. This time I went back to my old love, mosaics.  I made this Easter frame for Catherine - 





I put my kiln to use and made the individual tiles I used to create Catherine's gift. 


While waiting for the tiles to fire I gesso'd a frame I purchased from Michael's, then painted it creamy yellow






Unfortunately I rushed and fired the tiles before they were completely bone dry, here's what happened...


 
Yeah, BOOM!, some pieces exploded! 


 I played with the what was left and came up with a plan -





I painted  each piece with acrylic paint in Easter colors, dry brushed with a little white paint and then sealed them -





Here is a closer look at some of the tiles -





LASTLY,  I glued them to the painted frame. No grout this time. 


 It really is an easy process.  You should give it a try!


Oh, did you want to see what Catherine created? If  you want to see, you will have to visit her blog!  CLICK HERE!

 
And let's also continue on in the blog hop and see what everyone else created!!

Alicia   Marinache           All the Pretty Things
 
Catherine King                Catherine's Musings 
 
Chris Schlicht                  Non-Blogger Visitor to Marshellswaps
 
Cynthia Machata              Antiquity Travelers
 
Dyanne Everett-Cantrell  Deeliteful Jewelry Creations
 
Gina Hockett                    Freestyle Eelements
 
Jennifer Reno                   Musings of a Crafty Jenny  
 
Laura Reed                       Non-Blogger Visitor to Marshellswaps
 
Leanne Loftus                  First Impression Design
 
Lennis Carrier                  Windbent
 
Lori Bowring Michaud    Artfully Ornamental
 
Marti Conrad                    Marti C's Clay
 
Mary Govaars                   MLH Jewelry Designs
 
Renetha Stanziano           Lamplight Crafts
 
Rita/ Toltec Jewels           Jewel School Friends
 
Sandra McGriff                  Creative Chaos!
 
Sarah Goode                       Pookledo
 
Sherri Stokey                      Knot Just Macrame   
 
Sonya Stille                         Dreaming of Beads/ SAS Jewelry Designs
 
Tammie Everly                   TTE Designs
 
Therese Frank                     Therese's Treasures
 
Tiffany Goff Smith              Southern Gals Design
 
Marlene Cupo                      Amazing Designs by Marlene
 
 

23 comments:

Lori Bowring Michaud said...

Great recovery Shelley! Being patient while creating is the hardest part, I think. Beautiful frame, I'm sure Catherine will cherish it! Can't wait to see what she made for you! Thanks so much for hosting such a fun swap!

Alicia said...

Such a beautiful idea, Shelley! Love your frame - and I see you love your kiln :) you're surely getting beauties out of there.
Thanks for putting this one together - it was a fun challenge :)

Unknown said...

Very cool idea! I love all of the colors.

Anonymous said...

Not that I would call blowing things up a "happy accident" but I like the frame just the way it is, so it was obviously meant to be that way. In fact, maybe it's my fault. You just sent it to the wrong address...

dreaminofbeads / SAS Jewelry Designs said...

I love the piece you made, inspires me! I don't have a kiln but do have some polymer clay that I have been wanting to play with. I think I may have to give it a try.
Sonya

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing your process on the frame! I love it!

Tammie T Everly said...

Great post and very cool frame. This really was a great hop Thanks for organizing & including me :-)

Unknown said...

OK, no more going Boom! When you can create such marvelous mosaic tiles, they have to get out in the world. Sure Catherine will agree with me.

Freestyle Elements said...

Beautiful "accidental" frame, Shelley! Creative inspires creative. Would love to see what Catherine puts into that frame. Happy Easter!

Gina H

AntiquityTravelers said...

thanks for a fun hop! and what a great piece you made for Catherine! so sorry it went boom! but I like how it turned out

Unknown said...

Lori, thanks . I am anything BUT patient, thats for sure! I love what you did with those micromacrame pieces...ORNAMENT GIRL!

Unknown said...

Thanks Alicia. Yours was cool and the history lesson was great, and I hated history, but your blog post was very good! Love that you do those for the kids!

Unknown said...

Thanks Jen!I read the fairy tale you based your necklace on. Wow you really did a great adaptation in your piece. Had every element in it. Kudos!

Unknown said...

Yes that was it! Lennis! hahaha...this time it didnt even leave home before going boom. I did it all by myself no USPS involved.

Unknown said...

Oh yeah Sonya, try it with polymer. Just don't use grout.(I didn't this time but usually do). Hey did I know you were a beadweaver too? I am so forgetful. Beautiful set you made especially the earrings!

Unknown said...

Thank you for participating Marti. The dog biscuit theme you and Marlene worked with was so funny!

Unknown said...

Oh of course Tammie, We always like you coming to our hops/parties! You made some beautiful pieces but like I said, I'm partial to the patinas!

Unknown said...

BOOM BOOM BOOM...thank goodness its a small boom! haha

Unknown said...

Gina thanks!YOU made some really cool earrings!!

Unknown said...

yeah Well it wasn't a big boom and I learned my lesson( I hope). My Mom always did say I did things the hard way and backwards. The bracelet you created is a work of art. SO interesting!

Toltec Jewels for Jewel School Friends said...

When I saw your tiles on Catherine's blog, I fell in love!! They are awesome!! Wow, I can't believe some exploded... lol. They are just gorgeous, and the colors are wonderful! Shelley, it's so exciting to see you creating with your kiln.

You two had a fantastic, creative Easter exchange! :)

Again, I had so much fun. I'm so proud to be a part of the Holiday Bling Blog Hops :)
Thank you again for hosting a wonderful Holiday event! You and Marlene are the BEST!

Happy Hopping,
TJ

Unknown said...

Awww you are always so sweet Rita! Your chainmaille is so stunning. The patience that takes! WOW

Unknown said...

Great recovery on your plan, Shelley! The frame is beautiful and feels like you meant for it to be that way!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...