Monday, November 12, 2012

REVEAL: 2012 Charm Swap


It's reveal day for the 2012 Charm Swap!

The 2012 Charm Swap is a really cool event,  an annual event spearheaded by the wonderful Jennifer Stout Cameron of Glass Addictions!



Here's how it worked: Bead Artists were challenged to create a charm using the theme of "Laughter". We were broken up into groups of ten artists and asked to each make 11 charms. Ten of the charms were to be exchanged with other members of our assigned group. Jennifer's goal was for us to have fun and get miniature pieces of art from fellow artists.  A lovely idea.

But her plan for that one remaining charm is the most important part of the challenge. Each of these charms will be auctioned off with all proceeds to benefit Beads of Courage®.

According to their website - "The Beads of Courage® Program is designed to support and strengthen children and families coping with serious illness. Through the program children tell their story using colored beads as meaningful symbols of courage that commemorate milestones they have achieved along their unique treatment path."

Meet one of these precious children -


This is Ryley. Ryley is the grandson of fellow artist Jean Peter. He is three years old. His condition is called Hypo-plastic left heart syndrome. Ryley has had three open heart surgeries, his first when he was only one week old. This photo was taken after his second, when he was around 2 years old. His third surgery was June 2012 and is will hopefully be his last.
  

Every bead tells a story of strength, honor and hope.
 





Each child is given the Beads of Courage® bead color guide with a detachable membership card. Their Beads of Courage journey begins when each child is first given a length of string and beads that spell out their first name. Then, colorful beads, each representing a different treatment milestone are given to the child by their professional health care provider to add to their Beads of Courage® collection throughout their treatment.
The Beads of Courage® Program is currently implemented in over 140 children’s hospitals throughout the United States, Canada, Japan, New Zealand and the United Kingdom. They support over 30,000 children through their programs.


As we all know, LAUGHTER is the best medicine - so what could be a better theme around which to create our charms ?

Since I spend so-o-o much time on Facebook chatting and sharing with my fellow artists my brain went right to how we communicate laughter online.  Smiley faces ":)" and "LOL" are my main internet acronyms. With this in mind I created these polymer clay charms!




Do you like them? I had so much fun making them. BUT I had even more fun opening up the package of charms that I received. The box was chalk full of charm goodee-ness! Each and every one was UNBELIEVABLE!  I received nine charms, one from each of my group members. However there are over 40 artists participating in the this swap and auction!

Now that you know more about this great event I hope you will join us at the online auction  Monday, November 12 beginning at 3pm EST  - ALL proceeds to benefit  Beads of Courage® . CLICK HERE to support this effort - and please be generous!

Beads of Courage, Inc. is an approved public charity under I.R.S. Code Section 501(c)(3), based in Tucson, Arizona.

Forgive me now but I HAVE to go check out all the other designs that I haven't seen yet...join me by following these links!










































Shelley Graham Turner << You are here!




35 comments:

Denielle said...

These are soooo adorable! Your use of LOL is ingenious <3

Monique (A Half-Baked Notion) said...

Looove them, Shelley... so kooky and adorable!

Unknown said...

Oh Shelley, they are sooo cute!!! What a great idea for the LOL!!

Skye said...

OMG !! Those are friggin' ADORABLE!!

Shel said...

These are super fun!! I love them - genious!! Great cause, too!! Glad I hopped on over!! LOL!! ;-)

Marsha of Marsha Neal Studio said...

They are awesome!!! They surely made me smile and giggle :)

TesoriTrovati said...

Miss Shelley, these are so very funny! I love that you created this funny face with the LOL. They do crack me up! I didn't get your charms, but I will be watching for those in the auction. Enjoy the day! Erin

Unknown said...

LOL ! Love it! Very clever idea!

mrs beadsley said...

those are so cute! love how you incorporated the LOL into the face!

Shai Williams said...

I was lucky enough to get one of your charms and I have to say that I just love it! I especially like the LOL since I too spend way too much time on the computer.

rosebud101 said...

Your charms are great!! LOL!!!

Kepi said...

Like them, I love them, great charms!

Cheryl said...

Love these. :-)

Anonymous said...

Your charms are hilarious!

Leslie Schenkel - Twisted Chicken Beads said...

Those charts are just too cute -- good job!

Unknown said...

Shelley!!! These are ADORABLE!!

Unknown said...

Thanks Denielle. This WAS fun wasn't it? ESPECIALLY getting the package in the mail.

Unknown said...

Just like me huh? Kooky and soooo adorable! haha

Unknown said...

Thanks Shirley. It seemed so simple at the time, I almost didnt go with it.

Unknown said...

OMGoodness thanks Sandra! xxoo

Unknown said...

Thanks Erin. I love your too, as I love all your work!

Unknown said...

aww thanks Kia!

Unknown said...

OMGoodness Shaiha! we sooo need a club or better yet a rehab center just for our kind. I get so little done creatively because I cannot get myself off this thing! I am seriously looking to change this in 2013. Look for future posts! ON THE COMPUTER, ugh! LOL!

Unknown said...

Thanks Kepi!!

Unknown said...

Ingetraud - Hilarious is good...made you laugh then, right? Mission accomplished!

Unknown said...

Thanks ((Lea)) !!

Alicia said...

Shelley, these are **gorgeous**!! I love them - happy, bright, cheerful!

Unknown said...

Thanks so much Marsha...so simple in design I almost didn't make them. Haaha LOL!!

Unknown said...

Thank you Missy. Oops MRS Beadsley! I adore the tea set charm as well. THe blue with the pearl. Very sweet memories come to mind. And playtime is laughter time!

Unknown said...

And yours are too..bacon and eggs! I love them, so talented!!

Unknown said...

Thanks so much Cheryl!Love your ART EVERYDAY blog posts, and those pendants you designed are inspiring. I am following you!

Unknown said...

Leslie..you got me with that TWISTED CHICKEN BEADS! visited your blog and saw that beautiful steampunk bracelet you did back in March. NIiiiCe! And someone likes TEAL too!

Unknown said...

Thanks Alicia. Yours are adorable...hey did I bid on one?Let me check that out!! I love the use of the washers and the little cutesy beads...ADORABLE (I said that already, huh? WELL they are!!) xxoo

Perri www.ShaktipajDesigns.etsy.com said...

Shelley, I ROTFLOL when I saw your charm! Don't take this the wrong way - but I cannot look at it without thinking of your smiling face....THANK you for all you do!

Unknown said...

Thanks Perri! I'm taking your comment as a compliment - I am happy that you think of my SMILING face. Working on my "B1TC4" face charm now...stay tuned! Hahahaha

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...